Buyers: What a REALTOR® Can Do for You
The REALTOR® you work with can be one of your most valuable resources in the home buying process. Unlike many real estate agents who are simply licensed by their state to do business, REALTORS® have taken additional steps to become members of the local board of REALTORS® and have agreed to act under and adhere to a strict Code of Ethics. Here is what a REALTOR® can do for you:
- A REALTOR® can help you determine the price you can afford.
- A REALTOR® can often suggest ways to accrue a down payment and explain alternative financing methods.
- A REALTOR®, in addition to knowing the local money market, also can tell you what personal and financial data to bring when you apply for a loan.
- A REALTOR® is already familiar with current real estate values, taxes, utility costs, municipal services and facilities, and may be aware of local zoning changes that could affect your decision to buy.
- A REALTOR® can usually research your housing needs in advance through a Multiple Listing Service (MLS) - even if you are relocating from another city.
- A REALTOR® can show you only those homes best suited to your needs: size, style, features, location, and accessibility to schools, transportation, shopping and other personal preferences.
- A REALTOR® often can suggest simple, imaginative changes that make a home more suitable for you and that will improve its utility and value.
- A REALTOR® is sensitive to the importance you place on this major purchase and commitment that you are about to make.
- A REALTOR® can facilitate negotiation of a win-win agreement that will satisfy both you and the seller.